This class provides a unique opportunity for students to learn carpentry and construction skills by participating in the construction of a variety of projects, including large commercial buildings. Students are prepared for entry-level employment skills in the construction field and for participation in post-secondary construction- related programs such as construction management, construction engineering, and architecture.
Students participate in estimating, layout, foundation and cement work, rough-in carpentry, roofing, wiring, interior wall finishing, exterior finishing and siding, finish carpentry including trim, etc. Students are involved in all phases of residential construction. They are also exposed to blueprint reading as well as math and science concepts as they relate to the construction field. In addition to participating in post high school programs, many graduates of this program work for area contractors or establish themselves as a licensed contractor.
This class is typically available to students in grades 10-12.
High School Credit
- Students can earn up to 4 college credits from NMU
- Students must earn a grade of 90% or better and be recommended by the instructor
- Each college reserves the right to set its own credit-granting policy
- Contact your college(s) to find out the score it requires to grant credit, the number of credit hours granted, and the course(s) that can be bypassed with a satisfactory score
NMU courses satisfied:
CN 110 - Construction Processes - 2 NMU credits granted
CN 156 - Construction Systems & Methods - 2 NMU credits granted
- 10-hour OSHA Construction Industry Safety*
*Credentials are nationally recognized, portable and stackable, which means students have the option of attaining more advanced credentials in the future
Governor Snyder visits Geometry in Construction
Geometry in Construction students at Ishpeming and Westwood High Schools build better neighborhoods!
Read more about Governor Snyder visits Geometry in Construction
What to do next?
Instructors: Mike Nicosia