Open to all 11th & 12th graders in Marquette & Alger Counties
Prepared for immediate employment, advanced certifications, and further education
This program provides students an opportunity to participate in a challenging and rewarding hands-on environment. Students learn about supervision, management, planning, delegation, and responsibility, while gaining experience in quantity food production and management.
Students in this class:
- Participate in a statewide culinary competition
- Work at culinary events
- Tour local restaurants and food service operations
- Obtain two weeks of work experience
Learn about banquet and catering operations including:
- On and off-premise events
The lodging and tourism components of the program will prepare you to meet the needs of guests who are away from home and monitor the revenue activity of a hotel or tourism facility. The course will cover guest services, culinary arts, baking, sanitation, applied math/finance and kitchen safety.
This class is typically available to students in grades 11 - 12.
Students attend class made up of other Marquette and Alger County high school & homeschool students at NMU’s Jacobetti Complex from 12:21 - 2:21.
Prerequisites: None (unless assigned by local district)
How to Get Started
High School Credit
Students should inquire within their guidance office about high school curriculum requirements that may be satisfied through a CTE class, as this is determined individually by school district.
College credit(s) possible
- Students can earn up to 10 college credits from NMU
- Students must earn a grade of 90% or better and be recommended by the instructor
- Each college reserves the right to set its own credit-granting policy
- Contact your college(s) to find out the score it requires to grant credit, the number of credit hours granted, and the course(s) that can be bypassed with a satisfactory score
NMU courses satisfied:
HM 111 - Food Service Sanitation - NMU Credits Granted 2
HM 112 - Intro to Hospitality Industry - NMU Credits Granted 4
HM 115 - Professional Cooking I - NMU Credits Granted 4
National Restaurant Association ServSafe Food Safety (an industry standard)*
*Credentials are nationally recognized, portable and stackable, which means students have the option of attaining more advanced credentials in the future
What to do next?
Email us today